Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Here's the first sample from the Brother 930 that I'm willing show. It's been a real struggle since I started playing with this machine. I was able to locate a Mennonite owned shop about 90 minutes from me that had the sponge bar and manuals for the 930 and punch cards for the Toyota machine.
I was able to do a straight stockinette panel once I changed the sponge bar, cleaned it and replaced one of the needles. After the stockinette panel, I hit a dead end. Two of the buttons are stuck together when they are supposed to move independently. Then I kept dropping stitches. On more than one occasion I was tempted to throw the carriage through the window!
So today, I took a deep breath and decided to try one of the tuck stitches. I took it slow and easy and it worked with the exception of that tuck on the right side of the panel where the panel occasionally gets caught on the sinker posts. I think I know what causes it and will be on the look for it next time. I'd like to get several hats done for one of the local women's' charities but I didn't want them to be plain. Just because they are for charity doesn't mean they have to be ugly. I'm hoping I can get several done before we go a road trip next week so that I can seam them in the car.
The more I learn about this machine the more I realize what an awesome gift this was. I say gift because it's turning out that the $110 I paid was but a fraction of price for the garter carriage alone. I think this is a lesson for all of us. We need to leave our families some idea of what our things are worth. Some of these pieces have never been used and they weren't inexpensive when new. Then if they decide to give them away they'll at least have some idea of what they're giving away.
Oh well, I'm off to try to get a hat done.
P.S. Miss Ginny, I wished we lived closer together for many reasons, but yes I could really use your help with this one.