I couldn't find my camera! I looked for several days only to find it today in a place I'd already looked! I wrote this post over a week ago but wanted to post the pics with it!
I've spent the past few days as I envisioned them when I thought about retirement. I've been sewing and making jelly.
But first an update on my goals. I finished both tops in a manner of speaking. The dolls:
It's been reduced to blocks.
I also completed the African Log Cabin top. I love Log Cabin blocks and this is one of my favorite settings:
For the curtains I've planned a valance that's 12" deep with a ruffle above the rod and embroidered sewing motifs around the bottom.. I've done the measurements and chosen the Redwork designs. Yesterday I printed them out and now I need to decide placement. I'm measuring twice so hopefully I'll only have to do this once!
I read lots of blogs. And they can be either a source of inspiration of the cause of trouble. A couple of weeks ago Araignee wrote about solar dyeing. I've got fleece, dyes, a deck and Lord knows we had loads of sunlight and heat.
Since I decided at the last minute to try it, I did three jars and one of them was plastic. I'd planned to do 2 jars, but I had dye left over. One jar has a failed dye experiment from last year. I tried to use Japanese Indigo from the yard, but I never got any color at all. I dyed it blue. The other jars have some Romney from the bags I got earlier this summer. I tried to wash individual locks, but forgot to put the locks in the netting so as soon as the locks hit the water they fell apart. I had blue dye left, but also wanted to try some immersion dyeing so I added yellow to both jars. One jar more successfully than the other. Here are the results:
Since the last time I was here, I also washed 2 more fleeces, weeded the flower beds and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.
We ran out of jelly at breakfast last week. No big deal, just put it on the list. I remembered I'd been planning to make apple jelly anyway and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. I made the "Easy Apple Jelly" from the Ball book recommended by Miss Ginny. Easy because instead of making the juice you use store bought. I had some in the fridge from the last time the kids visited. It was as easy as the title implied. What is it with canning jars? They don't last a hot minute on Craig's List and the stores seem to be selling out as soon as they come in. I'm going to assume it's because of the economy and people are looking to save money where they can. I also did salsa and apple grape jelly. I've a ways to go before I am as prolific as Miss Ginny, but I've made a start. ETA: Harold says to tell you he can't figure out which flavor he likes best.
On the sewing front, I made a top. We went out with friends for crabs on Sunday and I didn't have a thing to wear. I hate to shop for clothes and shopping was the alternative. I'm not whining about my weight today but the thought of shopping in this heat drove me crazy. Yes, I realize stores are air conditioned, as is my car, but I swear it's too hot pull stuff on and off. It's also the end of the season and there's little left in my size and it's all black. Not in this heat! This is a quick top. I bought the patterns at JoAnn's last sale. It will be a combination of two. Both patterns have the handkerchief hem, but the bodices and lengths are different. One bodice is absolutely scandalous. I know because I forgot I'd bought the second pattern for the bodice and made it. Y'all my mama's still alive, there's no way I could wear it. The second is more of a bandeau top and even then I had to enlarge it. I also added a zipper to the left side. It's cute and cool to wear.