Sunday, November 17, 2013

Maryland Alpaca Fest - 2014

Anyone who works with fiber and did not attend this years' Fest did themselves quite a disservice.  It's the 3rd weekend in November and is held at the Howard County Fairgrounds.  This is the Festivals' 4th year and the best one yet.

I'd originally planned to go both days, but was only able to go today.  This year the festival was opened up to other breeds; food and wine were added as well.  I think the final tally was 40 vendors.
Since there aren't as many in attendance I was able to see everything up close and as a result spent more than I intended.

I attended one seminar, "Hand Carding, Spinning and Tri Loom Weaving" by Rebecca Duran.  I thought it went well.  She devoted most of her time to spinning, but covered weaving using the Tri-Loom as well.  This portion did not go as well as the previous section, but she covered the basics.  This was her first time as a demonstrator and she did well.  I have one question:  Why is there always one person who monopolizes the class?  She was a new alpaca owner and would not shut up!

There was a good mix of vendors.  Alpaca, sheep breeds, the aforementioned food and wine, jewelry and finished goods. The weather was perfect for this time of year and much warmer than some years. I was able to park right outside of the gate.  All in all a very enjoyable day!

 
Breakfast - Chicken Salad Waffles - $4.00 for both.  So good it was sinful.
 


Maryland wine and recipe for Sangria.

 
My first flax strick.  I know that it's supposed to be at MD Sheep and Wool, but I've never seen it.  I bought this from Aker LLC who was also spinning:


 
Deb this is all your fault.  You kept going on about how soft Cormo was.  It just jumped into my hands (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!): 
 

 
Some alpaca love.  I want one of these so bad, but I don't think I'd be able to convince my neighbors they were just large dogs.  There's also going outside to care of them in the winter.  I'd almost convinced myself to buy one and board it, but I came to my senses.   


Well, I'm off to spin this.  I/2 price alpaca and silk. 
 
If you didn't get a chance to go this year, put it on your calendar for next year:  November 16 and 17, 2014.
 
TTYL,
 
Melodye

1 comment:

Araignee said...

Oh, man!!!!
I didn't know about this. You know I would have been there. I am seriously bummed. You brought home some awesome stuff and I love the idea of no crowds.
I WILL be there next year.