Monday, August 18, 2014

And this is what 100 looks like!



Last weekend my family traveled to Myrtle Beach, SC to celebrate the 100th birthday of our cousin Mrs. Onethia Elliott. Forget wanting to be like her when I'm 100, I want to be like her now! She keeps her daughters on their toes and has a mind like a steel trap.  She forgets nothing.  I asked one of daughters how they kept it secret she said, "we lied".  The first thing Cousin Onethia said when she saw this daughter was, "you big, fat liar".  My cousin said she lied so much she couldn't track of them all, but her mother did, Often contradicting her mid-sentence with, "but you said...".  She still loves to garden and only uses her walker when she's away from home.  She actually lives on a small island off Myrtle Beach and we don't see her often as the boats don't run when the water is rough.  We don't own a boat so we have to coordinate our trips with someone who does. She has a great sense of humor and attributes her longevity to God and Dr. Johnson, her physician.  I didn't get to meet her until later in life and I treasure every time I'm in her presence.

This was also the occasion to wear the purple dress.  I love the dress, but I don't like the me in the dress. In every picture I look old and worn out.  It's past time to make some serious changes. I've started, but Lord, it's going to take a while.


I originally thought that this dress was a little too "young" for me, but now that it's finished I think it's a dress that can be worn by women of any age.  It's actually a classic silhouette.  If I were to make it again, I 'd probably fill in the neckline as per the pattern and add sleeves as http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cageofwords/lace-dress-2 did.  If you think it's one you'd like to make, I encourage you to do so!  It's only single and double stitches. The pattern has errors, but Ravelers have captured them.  As of now there's so single listing of all the errata.  Interweave only corrected the most glaring and shows no intent of adding the others.

TTYL,

Melodye

4 comments:

Araignee said...

That dress is spectacular and you look great in it. I bet you'll still be wearing it when you are 100-and I hope I'm here to see it!

Deb said...

I think you look lovely in the dress. Wear it with pride!

Tee said...

Wow! The dress is beautiful! Next time show us that pretty smile! Your cousin is gorgeous!!!

Toni said...

Ha! Ha! Hope you all had fun at the b-day celebration. I'd love to be that sharp at 50!

The dress is beautiful and a great color for you. Wear it with pride!!!!