Saturday, November 24, 2007

Beginnings

This blog was prompted by a visit to my sewing room. I walked in and thought what a waste. I've got more machines, patterns, fabric, thread and notions than I can count. But my constant cry is that I've got nothing to wear. I've got nothing to wear, because as I've gotten older I've become aware of constitutes good fit and I'm dissatisfied about what's available in ready to wear. Shoddy workmanship and fabrics in the stores don't cut it. But the need for new clothes has reached a crisis point.

I had a kidney transplant in January of this year. I had to go back into the hospital in June and at that point prednisone was added to my drug regimen. The medicine that allows me to keep this incredible gift is also responsible for the extra weight. I was already having fitting challenges, the extra weight has added to the challenges. I will also admit that I am not the most patient of people (it's genetic!!) And fitting requires patience if nothing else.

Contrary to what others are doing, I'm working with fabric from JoAnn's clearance table to work out fit issues and to make wearable muslins. I'm not cutting into the good stuff until I can get a decent fitting garment. Right now I'm working on skirts using moleskin that worked out to be about $1.50 a yard. If I mess it up, no big deal.

TTYL,

Melodye

No comments: