Thursday, November 20, 2008

Well, I did it!

Upon reflection, that title could refer to a couple of things. I think I told you that I'd been upgraded to tennis shoes. In fact the last thing the doc said was, "Be careful. That foot's still fragile". And I was, right up until Sunday afternoon. Fell going up the sidewalk to visit my sisters and my mom. Initially I was worried about running my new pantyhose. The doc was not pleased to see me, Mondayafternoon. Come to think of it, I wasn't too happy to see him either! I didn't refracture it, but it hurts almost as bad now as it did initially. So I'm back in the black boot and taking drugs that only work if you take them.

On to other things. The title could also refer to this. Isn't this the ugliest yarn you've ever seen? It is, but it's my ugly yarn. I took a drop spindle spinning class on Saturday and this was the result. Because of the foot, I haven't had a chance to get back to it, but I will. I've been interested in learning to spin since 7th grade, but the bug really bit me a year or so ago. I bought the spindle as a souvenir from a business trip to Vegas earlier this year and have been trying to get into a class.

But it really refers to this. My very own spinning wheel. She was listed on Craigslist as an Antique Wheel. What Idon't know about her could fill volumes. What I think I know is that she's a Saxony type wheel with a single treadle. There are no markings that I can find. I can't tell if she's a single or double drive (to be honest I'm not sure what that means!). She needs a new drive wheel band and a new footman. I'd like to get more bobbins as well. I'm so excited I can't stand it!

I had an excellent 7th grade social studies teacher. Mr. Vadorsky. I already loved history, but he made it come alive. He didn't teach us a lot of dates, but he taught the why. Anyway our project that year was to do something related to the colonial period. I really wanted to grow, spin and weave flax. I don't know why I just did. But this was September, in Maryland. So instead, I dressed Barbies in colonial dress or something.
I jury rigged a footman and a drive wheel band to try it out. I was able to get the wheel to move, but , not for long. I didn't try it with roving though. I've put out feelers for someone to make a footman and additional bobbins. If nothing turns up, I can work up a better footman, but I don't know about the bobbins.
I've been waiting for her to tell me her name. But maybe she is and I can't hear her through the pain.







1 comment:

cici said...

Sorry to hear that you fell again. Hope you take it easy. I have not got the spin bug bite yet. I have a long way to go before I do, I hope. I do love handspun yarn though.:D Good Luck.