Tuesday, March 17, 2009

San Diego Shops

This was my second visit to San Diego, both work related. I’ll have to go back on vacation, to see how I like the city. Since I’m in workshops all day, I don’t get to do much touristy stuff unless I play hooky. But I’ve gotten to visit some neat shops both times. The first time I visited Ethnic Quilts and Fabrics. I would have loved to get back there, but just didn’t have the time. This time I visited the Bonita Knitting Shop and the Needlecraft Cottage.

I initially learned about the Bonita Knitting Store from Tania at Tania Knits Too and it was further recommended by Susan at Knitter’s Delight. It’s a small shop, but well stocked. The staff was friendly and fun to chat with. It was here I learned of another knitter who was also having “fun” with the Cobblestone Pullover. I didn’t buy any yarn this trip, but I did buy Tania’s neck warmer pattern, a sweater by White Lies Designs, the Ellemyra shrug, the Baby Surprise Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman and a purse hook. I also got to meet Tania when she stopped by. She’s as nice in real life as she is in her blog. If you’re ever in San Diego, stop by.

I saw the Needlecraft Cottage on our way to breakfast Sunday morning and had to stop in after we finished eating. I felt as if I’d died and gone to heaven. This takes nothing from the Bonita Knitting shop. Each shop is different and special in its own unique way. The Needlecraft cottage appears to be a small converted house. Each room is devoted to a different needlecraft with knitting and crochet dominant. Counted cross stitch, needlepoint, beading and tatting. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I don’t needlepoint, but if I did I could have gone crazy. Out behind the shop proper is a small outbuilding dedicated to needlepoint canvases. Across from that outbuilding is another outbuilding reserved for guild meetings! Back inside there’s loads of yarn (since I wasn’t buying any I don’t have any particulars, sorry), patterns, needles, notions, beading and tatting supplies. I’m not really into beading but I’d love to learn to tat. I was strong; I didn’t buy any tatting supplies to supplement the ones I already have. I did get Knitting Workshop by EZ, the latest Piecework magazine and a pair of size 9 circulars. I also spent a bit of time talking to the owner. This is a second career for her; she’s retired Navy and doesn’t get a chance to work on her own projects. It was a very friendly shop, I felt at home and welcomed instantly. This was the only shop I visited twice. The second time solo, so I got a chance to enjoy it alone. Once again, if you get a chance stop in, you won’t regret it.

2 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

I took a class in tatting once... it was fun but it's definitely a skill that takes some patience to master. And I don't think I could have learned it from a book... there's a funky pull you have to do that transfers the twist from one thread to the other... real hard to get without seeing it done.
Does the owner of the shop tat? Maybe she could teach you!

Beverly said...

I used tat long time ago. It's beautiful but very time consuming. I still know where my shuttles and threads are but I haven't had the urge to pick it up again yet.