Monday, February 24, 2014

February Finished Object!

     I warned you output this month would be low!

     When my mother was here, she showed interest in my spinning. Not learning how to do it, mind you, she was just interested in the process.  A friend gifted me several bits of roving when she decided spinning was not for her.  I started this to show Mama how.  I didn't participate in Ravellenics this year, but decided to challenge myself to finish during the games.  I finished Saturday night. There was no label, but it is wool and finished at about 230 yards fingering weight.  I'll probably make a narrow scarf or cowl for Mama. I know I shouldn't but I get such a thrill out of seeing my finished yarn!


      On a different note -  last night I was flipping through the channels and stumbled across "American Artifacts" on CSpan3.  The topic was the Baltimore Garment Industry and I found it quite interesting. Having grown up in Baltimore, I knew some of it, but some was new to me.  It was filmed at the Baltimore Museum of Industry and the docent worked in the garment district.  He had several anecdotes to share including the reason workers carried lunch pails instead of bags - the rats were so numerous that they'd carry off the bags before the workers could eat their lunches!  Baltimore has just lost its last retail store from that era, so this was really a glimpse of times past.

     Did you know that  Baltimore was once the world's largest producer of hats?  Or umbrellas?

       If you're interested in seeing it, it will be re-aired on Saturday morning at 10.  It's also in the archives at cspan.org. 

     That's all from this side of the screen.

TTYL,

Melodye 

1 comment:

Araignee said...

Your post reminded me of a book I used to read to my class all the time that took place in Baltimore: Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard. The kids loved it (and so did I!)