Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Adventure - Part 1

Despite life, I was able to get the pattern pieces cut out and ironed today. Tomorrow, I'll lay out the muslin and perhaps get it cut out. The actual sewing of the coat is not difficult, but I may need to do some alterations.

With the exception of the hem circumference, I can't find finished dimensions for the actual coat. This information might allow me to forego the full bust adjustment. I will add  2 inches to each side seam allowance and will mark the original seam lines. Sandra Betzina once asked a class I attended , "if we realized  how much frustration this step would save?" and I have used it on muslins ever since. The only alteration that really has me concerned is the sloping shoulder adjustment. I always have to make one. With this pattern the sleeve is cut on with the side back. Hmmm. The coat does call for shoulder pads and I may be able to fiddle with them for a better fit.

As I was thinking about the muslin, the sewing gremlin that lives in my head, whispered, "you know you're making this garment twice"? I know a lot of people don't like making muslins, but pin fitting doesn't work for me, especially since my shoulders slope at different angles. Sometimes I make a wearable muslin, but this will be a true muslin.  I'm really determined to finish this coat. Life and my resident sewing gremlin have caused it to sit on the back burner far too long. I don't doubt my ability to make a garment worth wearing, but alterations always give  me pause. It's also been a minute since I had to match plaids. This is an even plaid, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Speaking of alterations, here's a pic of some books from my sewing library that I use. I can't put my hand on  Margolis's, "How to Make Clothes That Fit and Flatter" that I have  had for over 40 years. I suspect it's buried under a stack of fabric.


What are your opinions on muslins? Which books do you reach for over and over? Do you have a sewing gremlin?

TTYL,

Melodye

No comments: